Non-Toxic Cleaning Hacks: 21 Unique Ways to Use Branch Basics
By Marilee Nelson |
We always knew we had something special in Branch Basics’ two flagship products: Concentrate and Oxygen Boost...we just never imagined (all these years later) we’d still be discovering new ways to use them. From kitchen to bathroom, skincare to car care, here are 21 more ways to clean with Branch Basics.
#1: Restore burnt pots to like-new condition
Oh how we all loathe burning our favorite pots and pans...especially the really nice ones! Fortunately, a little All-Purpose and Oxygen Boost will clean them right up.
- Spray with All-Purpose, then sprinkle half a scoop of Oxygen Boost on the bottom of the pot or pan.
- Cover with warm water and let soak at least 15 minutes or overnight
- Scrub clean! Yes, it's really that easy!
#2: Get heavy fragrance out of clothing
Trading hand-me-downs for kids and buying used clothing is an awesome way to help save the planet (and some cash). The only downside can be the fragranced laundry soap. Here’s how to fix that.
- Air your clothes (preferably outdoors in the sunshine) for as long as possible---12-48 hours. If the clothes are very fragrant, sun for as many days it takes to eliminate all or most of the odor.
- Soak your clothes in water with a scoop of Oxygen Boost and 2 tsp. Concentrate to help remove any lingering scents.
- Wash with Branch Basics Laundry plus a scoop of Oxygen Boost and add an extra rinse.
- Sniff them before drying. If the smell is still very noticeable, repeat washing. If it’s nearly gone, proceed to step 5.
- Let the dryer evaporate the rest (just keep windows open for good ventilation).
Get the full scoop in How to Remove Fragrance from Clothes and Hand-me-Downs.
#3: Clean your car
For the interior:
- Spray the All-Purpose and allow grime to begin breaking down for a few minutes before wiping.
- Use a small brush or toothbrush for hard-to reach crevices.
Note: To prevent any potential mineral rings on the interior fabric, use distilled water.
For the Exterior:
- Fill a bucket with water and add ¼-½ cup of the All-Purpose solution.
- Use a sponge or rag to clean and rinse with a hose.
Spot clean bugs, bird droppings, tree sap, and tar with the All-Purpose, wait 30 seconds to help break down, scrub and rinse clean.
Note: Branch Basics emulsifies wax, so rinse immediately to avoid stripping waxed surfaces.
For engines, tires, windows and other BB cleaning tips, check out page 24 of our User Guide.
Related Reading: Ditch the Fabric Softener: 7 Natural Alternatives
#4: As patio furniture cleaner
Branch Basics is biodegradable and good for the earth, so you can spray and use outside as you please! To clean patio furniture, first wipe or hose down, liberally spray All-Purpose and let sit at least 15 seconds, then wipe clean! Repeat if necessary.
#5: As a face or body wash
Foaming Wash is not only awesome for hands, jewelry, etc. it’s gentle enough to be used as a face or body wash. And the Mini Foaming Wash (available solo or in our Travel Kit) works great for travel.
#6: As an eye makeup remover
The Foaming Wash is powerful enough to dissolve eye makeup but gentle enough to not sting. Simply rub on the foaming wash, then rinse away! FYI - we had independent third party testing that showed that Branch Basics is not an eye irritant!
#7: And...you even can shave with it!
Did you know Foaming Wash works great for shaving? Use directly on your face, underarms, bikini area, legs, etc. and shave away. Follow with your favorite non-toxic moisturizer.
#8: As a dish washing spray
Simply spray All-Purpose directly on dirty dishes, scrub, rinse, and dry...easy peasy (and great for sensitive skin).
#9: Removing mold and mildew from showers
- Use Branch Basics Bathroom solution, Oxygen Boost + 3% hydrogen peroxide to eliminate mold on hard surface.
- Spray grout lines liberally with Branch Basics Bathroom solution.
- Sprinkle with Oxygen Boost. Wet the Oxygen Boost with a spray of Bathroom solution.
- Let sit 1-5 minutes (the longer the better).
- Scrub with toothbrush or scrub brush to remove mold.
- Rinse or wipe off with a microfiber cloth.
- Finish by spraying straight hydrogen peroxide on the grout lines (you can add a spray bottle cap directly to your hydrogen peroxide bottle to make this easy), and let dry.
Learn more in: How to Clean Mold on Bathroom Grout and Showers without Bleach.
Related reading: How To Clean Floors With Branch Basics
#10: Remove cooked-on stains from stovetops
- Spray with All-Purpose.
- Sprinkle Oxygen Boost & spray again to wet.
- Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Scrub clean with a rag or no-scratch sponge.
Additional tips for stubborn stovetop stains:
- You can also mix Oxygen Boost and All-Purpose in a bowl and scrub on the stovetop.
- The tougher the stain, the longer you'll want to let it sit.
- Try another round if needed!
#11: Use as a portable hand cleanser
Our mom and dad clients LOVE the All-Purpose and Foaming Wash Miniatures for cleaning hands while out and about.
Just spray or pump directly on grimey hands and rinse or wipe clean. This is an excellent alternative to hand soaps and sanitizers offered in public restrooms. The All-Purpose is also handy for cleaning up strollers, car seats, toys, etc.
Note: All-Purpose and Foaming Wash are NOT hand sanitizers*. instead they work by removing germs from hands and surfaces...just like washing your hands with soap. Learn about sanitizers and disinfectants.
*Although our foaming wash is not a hand sanitizer current studies show that soaps and cleaners like Branch Basics pack a one-two punch on many germs. First of all, they destroy pathogens with lipid membranes** by breaking down the fat layer that surrounds the virus or bacteria. This renders the virus or bacteria harmless! Second, ALL germs are removed from the hands by rinsing!
**This includes the Coronaviruses, HIV, viruses that cause hepatitis B and C, herpes, Ebola, Zika, dengue, and many bacteria that attack the intestines and respiratory tract.
#12: Deep clean children’s toys
Soaking the toys in some water with Foaming Wash or a few drops Concentrate for 15 minutes or longer. Then rinse!
Parent tip: This is a great way to have some fun with the kids on a sunny day! Just fill up some bins with the toys and Branch Basics and let the kids have a ball cleaning them.
#13: Restore your blender to like-new condition
If your love of green smoothies, homemade nut butters, and plant-based milks has left your high-powered blender a little stained and scuzzy, here’s how to clean it up:
- Spray sides with All-Purpose.
- Add 1/2 scoop of Oxygen Boost and fill with water.
- Blend briefly (optional). Avoid blending if using hot water.
- Let it sit and soak for a few hours
- Scrub and rinse.
#14: Wash your dog!
- Spray down your pup with warm water.
- Slather with Foaming Wash and work up a good lather.
- Chase your dog around the house with a towel.
#15: Clean your jewelry
- Soak jewelry (rings, necklaces, earrings, etc.) in a bowl of water with a few squirts of All-Purpose (or Foaming wash) for 3-5 minutes or overnight.
- Use a soft brush if necessary.
- Rinse and dry.
Note: Not recommended for opals and pearls.
#16: Clean your makeup brushes
Lather up your makeup brushes with Foaming Wash, rinse, & repeat if necessary.
#17: Clean and degrease your grill
- To clean a grill, spray All-Purpose liberally and let sit for 5-30 minutes to emulsify soot and oil.
- Using a stiff-bristle brush dipped in water, scrub briskly.
- Rinse clean! Your grill will look good as new and ready for next time.
#18: Clean your piano
- Spray the All-Purpose on a cotton or microfiber cloth.
- Wipe piano and keys clean!
#19: Remove germs from electronics (tablets, phones, TVs, etc.)
- Spray a microfiber cloth with Streak-Free or All-Purpose.
For extra, non-toxic disinfecting (like for a child or teen’s device...ahem) do an extra wipe with white distilled vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
Learn more: Does Branch Basics Kill Germs?
#20: Clean your coffee maker
- Add 2 oz.(1⁄4 cup) of All-Purpose solution or about 1 tsp of Concentrate to an empty coffee pot, then fill the remainder with water.
- Pour mixture into coffee machine and let it “brew”.
- When done, run a pot of plain fresh water through the machine.
Extra Tip: Running a pot of fresh water with vinegar can also be helpful!
Struggling with removing old stains and residues in coffee pots and mugs? Try soaking with a little bit of Oxygen Boost and Concentrate overnight. Then scrub clean!
#21: Make stainless steel appliances shine!
Spray either Streak-free or All-Purpose to test which works best for your stainless steel.
Extra tip: distilled water works best for a streak-free shine.
Want more? Join the party on Instagram @branchbasics for loads of helpful cleaning tips, health and healthy home advice.
And for more How-Tos, check out the Branch Basics User Guide. For more information on nontoxic swaps, visit the Branch Basics blog.
Marilee Nelson is an Environmental Toxins expert who has spent nearly 30 years advocating for the chemically-sensitive and chronically-ill. She is a Board Certified Nutritionist, Certified Bau-Biologist and Bau-Biology Inspector and specializes in Food As Medicine. She has helped thousands of families and individuals identify, heal and recover from toxic exposures and is on a mission to revolutionize the way American families view their health.