Non-Toxic Laundry Stripping with Branch Basics
By Marilee Nelson |
If you’re looking to detoxify your clothing from dirt, grime and built up residues, follow this simple stripping process!
Before you get started…
Many times new clothes or clothes that have been washed in conventional detergent can be completely outgassed just by sunning.
- Hang clothes out in the sun or lay on a flat surface.
- Turn them inside out to minimize fading.
- Keep sunning until the smell is gone or almost gone.
- Bring in the clothes at night and repeat if need be.
How To Strip Your Laundry with Branch Basics
Place clothes in a big sink, top loading washing machine or bathtub and cover with water. Stripping usually requires HOT water but use what’s appropriate for the fabric.
Tip: Make sure clothes are colorfast so colored fabrics won’t fade or bleed onto your other laundry. To learn more, visit page 5 of our User Guide.
Soak for several hours, overnight or even a full day with the following:
Add one or more of the following to boost the process:
- 1-2 small boxes baking soda to help deodorize
- ½ – 1 cup Borax if clothes are moldy or musty (if using, double rinse clothes washed in Borax as some people experience skin irritation from this product).
- ¼ – ½ cup Sodium Sesquicarbonate
After soaking, wash in hot water with an extra rinse cycle. Repeat if necessary!
For more helpful tips on toxin-free clothing care, check out Branch Basics’ detailed laundry instructions for delicates, stains and whitening & brightening.
Marilee Nelson is an Environmental Toxins expert who has spent nearly 30 years advocating for the chemically-sensitive and chronically-ill. She is a Board Certified Nutritionist, Certified Bau-Biologist and Bau-Biology Inspector and specializes in Food As Medicine. She has helped thousands of families and individuals identify, heal and recover from toxic exposures and is on a mission to revolutionize the way American families view their health.