Coconut Oil Pulling with the Dr. Karach Oil Pulling Method
By Kelly Love |
The Dr. Karach Oil Pulling Method
An Ayurvedic Detoxification TreatmentDr. Karach prescribed this method for oil-pulling to help his patients with a variety of immune disorders. He found amazing results, especially in patients who were detoxifying petroleum solvents. Petroleum solvents are lipophilic (fat-loving) and will be readily absorbed into the oil. Also, toxic metals/minerals form soap complexes with the oil, and can be easily eliminated through spitting the oil out.
Reported Benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling
- Natural whitening of the teeth
- Cleaner, fresher breath
- Reduced plaque on the teeth
- Overall increased oral health
- Increased physical well being
- Reduced chemical load – easy detoxification
- Greater mental awareness
- Decreased pain and joint stiffness
- Reduced sinus infections
- Reduced migraines and other headaches
- Reduced kidney and liver stress
- Reduced bacteria in the mouth*
Dr. Karach Oil Pulling Procedure
- In the morning, before drinking any liquids (including water) or eating breakfast, take 1 Tablespoon organic coconut oil in the mouth, but do not swallow. Optional – for extra teeth whitening and antibacterial action – open a capsule or two of Activated Charcoal into the mouth as well.
- Swish the oil around your mouth and through your teeth. Continue to “chew” the oil and mix it with your saliva for 10-20 minutes. Do not throw your head back to gargle the oil.
- After 10-20 minutes, spit it into the trash or other container (avoid the sink or toilet because the coconut oil may solidify in your pipes).
- After expelling the oil, immediately brush your gums, teeth and tongue with warm salt or salt + soda water. Then gargle and spit with the remaining salt or salt/soda water.
- Salt Water: ¼ cup water mixed with 1/8 teaspoon pink salt
- Salt + Soda Water: ¼ cup water mixed with ⅛ teaspoon pink salt and ½ teaspoon baking soda
Other Suggested Uses for Coconut OilCoconut oil is extremely versatile - you can use it many different ways in your cooking and to replace multiple personal care products. Raw coconut oil retains the original enzymes, proteins, and vitamins, which can be more easily absorbed and utilized by your body. The is particularly important if you are using the coconut oil topically or digesting it raw, rather than cooking with it. However , a benefit of coconut oil is that it's great to use for cooking, event at high temperatures for dishes like stir-fries.
- all-over moisturizer
- diaper cream
- cradle cap
- body and foot scrub: mix with sugar as a body scrub or with salt to remove dry skin from your feet
- face wash (Wellness Mama has a great tutorial for this)
- lip balm
- cooking or baking: use it as a healthy alternative to vegetable or canola oils
- seasoning a cast iron skillet
- Oil pulling substantially reduced the level of bacteria responsible for gingivitis – (Indian J Dent Res. 2009 Jan-Mar:20(1):47-51.PMID:19336860)
- Oil pulling substantially reduced the level of bacteria responsible for tooth decay – strep mutans – (J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2008 Mar26(1):12-7.PMID:18408265)
Recently featured in Currently Loving:Full Circle Brushes
Kelly is proof that switching to a pure, natural lifestyle is powerful even for those who consider themselves healthy. She’s experienced how much our everyday choices impact our quality of life and is passionate about helping others see and feel the connection. She lives in Jackson, Mississippi with her husband and two daughters.