Beet and Carrot Detox Bake Recipe
By Linda Wagner |
We're excited to introduce Linda Wagner, who is joining the Branch Basics team this fall. Linda is a talented writer and and experienced Nutrition Coach who runs her own blog (LindaWagner.net), full of recipes and healthy living tips. We asked Linda to share a few of her favorite healthy holiday recipes here on the Branch Basics blog. We hope you enjoy these tasty, nutritious dishes throughout this holiday season!
During the holiday season I always try to come up with healthy, tasty dishes that everyone will love. I was visiting my brother and his family a few weeks ago and they made me the most AMAZING beet and carrot bake! I was so obsessed with it that I just had to try to recreate my own and I’m so glad I did!! It is SOOOO good and very simple to make! I love food that tastes amazing and is also amazing for you! The beets, carrots, and leeks in this dish are unbelievably nutritious and actually help to detoxify and strengthen the body!!
- amazing for regulating blood pressure
- support healthy digestion, especially in women!
- have amazing anti-cancer properties
- acts as a detoxifier by supporting the liver and purify the blood
- rich in vitamin C, B vitamins, potassium, and manganese. All of these support the bones, nervous system, liver, kidney, and muscular system.
- beets can also help to energize the body!
- rich in vitamin C, A, and K. These nutrients provide protection against heart disease and stroke!
- help to build strong bones
- support a healthy nervous system
- great for eyesight
- rich in antioxidants which are beneficial for caner prevention and detoxification
- anti-inflammatory, helps with water retention and puffiness
- supports healthy memory and cognitive function
I love knowing that the delicious foods I eat are also nourishing my body and helping me to stay young, youthful, and healthy!
Beet and Carrot Detox Bake recipeYou’ll need:
- 6 carrots
- 3 large beets
- 2 leeks (you could also use scallions)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 4 ounces of cheese – I’ve used chevre style goat cheese and feta cheese, both are wonderful!
- fresh black pepper
Scrub your beets clean and cut the stems off. You can leave the roots while they steam, this actually makes them sweeter! In a large saucepan covered with a lid, steam your beets whole until soft, about 10-15 mins. Check them regularly and add more water as needed.
After about 10 mins, you can add your carrots to the same pan or use a different pan if you would like to preserve the individual flavors. While your veggies are steaming, prepare your leeks. Drizzle olive oil a large sauce pan over med high heat, and add minced garlic and chopped leeks. You can see a great tutorial on how to easily wash leeks here! Stir and cook for several minutes until slightly soft.
Once your veggies are done, layer them in a baking dish. Drizzle them with tamari, fresh cracked pepper, and crumbled cheese. Broil at 500 degrees until the cheese is golden brown. Let cool and serve! You can also cover your dish with a lid if you want a creamier, saucier consistency more similar to a casserole. I think it would be great either way. I loved the crust that develops from broiling but might try covering it this winter when I’m craving heartier foods. This beet and carrot detox bake recipe makes a great side dish, but you could actually eat it all on it’s own for dinner - it’s that filling and has amazing flavor! This would make a lovely and nutritious addition to your Thanksgiving table. Beautiful, healthy food that’s easy to make and SO GOOD for you! It doesn’t get much better than that! Enjoy!!