Primally Pure's Holistic Esthetician Shares 4 Tips to Combat Adult Acne
By allison evans |
DETOX YOUR DIETFood is a powerful factor in how we feel on the inside + look on the outside. Acne (at any age) is an inflammatory response, and processed foods can often be the culprit. Some of the most inflammation-inducing foods to avoid for clear skin include gluten, refined sugars, dairy and highly processed oils (canola, vegetable, soybean). Focus on adding in more nutrient-dense, whole foods + healthy, healing fats to your daily diet to not only help resolve hormonal fluctuations and vitamin deficiencies that often cause acne, but to also bring life to tired, dull skin. Consistently making healthier food choices can play a huge part in saying goodbye to adult acne for good.
- Healthy fats can stabilize blood sugar + hormones and also build strong, resilient cells. Some skin loving oils include coconut oil, tallow from grass-fed cows, ghee, extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil.
- Bone broth is packed with gut-healing (healthy gut = healthy skin) and collagen-boosting gelatin and is also an abundant source of vital minerals.
- Leafy green veggies are rich in vitamins and support the body’s detoxification processes, flushing out excess hormones that can cause imbalances + inflammation in the skin.
PURIFY YOUR SKINCAREEven though you may feel like you’re fifteen again, stay far away from products you used back in the day. Drugstore cleansers just aren’t going to cut it this time around - plus, the chemicals in conventional skincare are scary. The majority of skincare on the market is made with cheap, toxic ingredients that actually aggravate acne and is one of the biggest contributors to our toxic load. On the flip-side, natural + non-toxic products help to support a clear complexion. Skincare products made with real, recognizable + organic ingredients can improve the overall health of the skin, making it less susceptible to acne and inflammation. Safe, nourishing skincare alternatives are available, and there are steps you can take to reduce toxic exposure on your skin and in your body. My tried + true favorites for a clear complexion include this simple, 3-step skincare routine:
- Cleansing Oil: A different type of “face wash” based on the scientific principle that like dissolves like and the age-old method of using beneficial oils to dissolve makeup + buildup and deeply purify pores.
- Everything Spray: Healing + calming mist that minimizes appearance acne and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Blue Tansy Beauty Cream: Deeply nourishes the skin without clogging pores + powerfully soothes troubled skin, calms redness and combats inflammation.
CLEAN UP YOUR HOMEHaving a toxin-free home is foundational to the health of your skin, and your entire self. We spend countless hours within these walls - it’s where we sleep, gather with friends + family, and relax after a long day at work. The environment we create within the home, especially with conventional cleaning products, can significantly add to the toxic buildup in our bodies - leading to hormone disruption, inflammatory diseases, respiratory problems and serious skin conditions. (Remember, our skin is a direct reflection of the state of our internal wellness.) Think about all of the products you use in your home on a daily or weekly basis. Bathroom cleaners, laundry detergent, dish soap, air fresheners… These conventional cleaning products are loaded with harmful + hazardous chemicals that are inevitably inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Replace toxic cleaning products + improve your air quality with safe options that make cleaning even more enjoyable and positively impact the health of your home, your family - and your acne.
KEEP CALMConstant pressures and rapid heart rates relentlessly plague our culture. Chronic stress is serious stuff – overexposure to stress severely attacks the health of our skin. When our bodies undergo prolonged stress, the hormone cortisol is increased which can contribute to inflammation and make our skin more prone to breakouts. Setting aside time for self-care + creating habits that help minimize stress levels are some of the most powerful healing approaches to acne.
- Soak in a warm, epsom salt bath in the evening to soothe your nervous system, relax an anxious mind and promote deep sleep.
- Adaptogens are herbs that support our bodies to adapt and respond in times of stress and have an incredible balancing effect on hormones. Supplement your daily diet with adaptogenic herbs to build resilience within your body, bring hormones back into balance and strengthen your capacity to handle stress.
- Keeping a gratitude journal is a simple, powerful practice to bring your mind back to the present moment. Rather than reflecting on stresses + issues in life, daily write down 3 things (big or small) that you’re thankful for, to reduce stress and to remember all of the beauty and blessings you’re surrounded by.
Allison has dedicated herself to helping others reap the benefits of clean living. She, along with her husband and two daughters left Houston for the country life as she heals from a recent mold exposure and diagnosis of chronic Lyme disease. Follow her story on our Instagram and read more about her Journey to Fertility.