Why Wool Dryer Balls?
- Decrease your exposure to chemicals
- Save money
- Save time
- Decrease your energy bill
- Reduce your carbon footprint
Our wool dryer balls are an economical and sustainable answer to the extreme toxicity of dryer sheets and fabric softeners.
Get Started with dryer balls:
- Add 3 of our wool dryer balls to your dryer.
- To reduce static cling even further, pin a safety pin into one or all the balls.
- Run your dryer on medium heat cycle
- Leave your dryer balls in the dryer for your next load!
Human health is our first priority always! We went the extra mile and are so grateful to have found this pure gift from sheep that can replace toxic fabric softeners and dryer sheets. Our benchmark for choosing the source of our balls is based on working with people who have reacted to wool dryer balls.
There can be many factors and variables, but we made sure that our wool balls:
- Are sourced and American made – imported products typically are fumigated.
- Are free of harmful chemicals – no harmful chemicals ever come in contact with the sheep or the wool used to make the balls. They leave no chemical residue on your clothes or dryer like fabric softeners or dryer sheets, and they save your skin and lungs from direct contact as well.
- Are pesticide free throughout entire life cycle – the lambs are pastured on an organic farm where no pesticides are ever used and wool is never treated with mothproofing chemicals.
- Are fragrance free*
- 100% pure so recommended for those with sensitive skin or allergies.
- Improve air quality – no chemical outgassing from your laundry room, from clothes you are wearing that impacts you and those around you, and from your dryer vents that impacts your neighborhood air quality.
- Are hand made – no manufacturing facility where cross contamination could occur.
- Come from a source aligned with our mission – dedicated to safety and purity. Their farming and product philosophy is consistent – “We care for the earth with every decision we make, from our sheep and our land ..we do it not because it’s trending but because we believe it is our responsibility…to the planet and the consumer.”
*We recommend fragrance-free products when creating a healthy home especially if there is someone in the house that is trying to recover from chronic illness since even a natural fragrance can trigger an immune response in someone who is not well. But, if you are healthy and would love to add a little scent to your laundry remove one or more balls after the clothes have completely dried, add 3-4 drops of an organic or wildcrafted essential oil to each ball, and run them on the no heat setting with your laundry for ten minutes.
Efficacy Next – What Do Dryer Balls Do?
- Save time, energy, and money – absorb moisture from clothing and shorten drying time 10-25% with a reduced heat setting.
- Separate clothes and allow hot air to circulate more through the fabric which also reduces drying time.
- Reduce damage to clothes through lower temperature settings and shorter drying time.
- Cut down on static – See more information in section below,
- Reduce wrinkles
- Soften clothes, linens, and bedsheets
- Help to fluff down feather quilts and jackets.
- Help bed sheets stay untangled during drying process.
- Ball sized for maximum efficiency.
- Reduce lint on clothes
- Grab pet hair from clothes
- Freshen clothes – leave clothes smelling fresh and clean
- Work well with towels and cloth diapers – doesn’t diminish towel or cloth diaper absorbency as fabric softeners do with chemical impregnation of the fabric.
Understanding Static Cling – Get the Most out of Your Dryer Balls!
It is important to understand that the potential of having issues with static cling is very variable. Think about winter time when the air is dry, your hair stands on end, and you get shocked from touching a door knob! Wearing synthetic clothes or the friction from walking across a nylon rug makes this even worse. So, when synthetic clothes tumble in the dryer, the friction produces an overabundance of positively charged electrons so that the clothes cling and stick together as they become dry.
Wool dryer balls reduce the static by collecting charged electrons during the drying cycle, BUT if drying synthetic clothes and other conditions are present extra measures may be necessary:
- Refresh your Dryer Balls – The dryer balls absorb static electricity and the ball becomes positively charged especially when washing synthetic clothes. If the balls seem to be less effective, place each ball in a sock and wash in a hot water washing cycle with 1 teaspoon Branch Basics Concentrate. Dry on hot dryer setting and the charge will be removed and the ball refreshed. Quick way to refresh the balls if you don’t have time to wash! Fill a sink with water, throw the balls in, wet them, and add to dryer.
- Increase Static Reduction – Consider adding a large safety pin to your dryer balls* if you have issues with static cling. The charged electrons are collected by the balls and the highly conductive metal safety pins. When the pin touches the metal of the dryer, the electrons are discharged into the drum, away from the clothes, and static is reduced. Also, reduce your dryer heat setting and make sure you pull your clothes when they are dry. Already dried clothes tumbling for excessive amounts of time increase the static and your energy costs.
- The more synthetic clothing in a load the more you will have static issues. Polyester, polar fleece, rayon, and nylon generate and hold on to static electricity if rubbed together. Natural fabrics like cotton are neutrally charged and do not produce static. Consider pulling synthetic clothes out of the wash and hang drying on indoor or outdoor line to eliminate the static issue.
- Using white vinegar in the dryer can further help reduce static. Spray a clean washcloth with vinegar. Toss into the dryer with everything else. The vinegar smell will be gone once the clothes are dry.
*If you don’t want to stick your beautiful balls with a pin, then add a safety pin to an old sock or piece of material to add to your dryer.
- Decrease your energy bill! Did you know that your clothes dryer is the second largest energy hog in your house after your refrigerator? Using dryer balls allow you to reduce heat settings and speed up drying time from 10-25% depending on the size of the load and how many dryer balls you use. Use 3 – 6 dryer balls per load to absorb moisture, rotate clothes, and provide better air circulation.
- Reusable – Dryer balls last much longer and cost much less than using dryer sheets or liquid fabric softener.
- Made to last – should last for over 1,000 loads or 3-5 years.
- Within a few short months wool dryer balls pay for themselves.
What if I am Allergic to Wool?
- Wool allergies may be due to lanolin. The lanolin has been washed out of the wool.
- Wool allergies may be due to sensitive skin that is irritated by the short, bristly fibers of wool. Our dryer balls are very smooth and handling them to put them in the dryer should not be an issue. The skin never comes into contact with the wool except when touching the balls to put them in the dryer.
- Wool allergies may be due to the chemical treatments that are sometimes on wool. There are no chemicals that ever come in contact with the sheep or the wool in our balls
- The balls are made with the intention of durability and do not have blemishes, are not rough, and no wool comes off into the clothes.
- Certainly, if someone has a reaction or is not satisfied they can be returned.
Treatment of Sheep = A Better Product
- Treated with love and care from birth throughout life
- Lambs are born, wean themselves, and are not sheared until they are a year old.
- Lambs are pasture raised sustainably and humanely
- Adhere to permaculture principles
- Every step the farm takes is environmentally directed
- Lambs never exposed to harmful chemicals as they are not even allowed on the farm
- No medications, vaccinations, or hormones used on the sheep
- Grow black walnut, rosemary, and other plants that sheep naturally go to when having parasite issues
- Sheep always washed with chemical free natural soaps – no petroleum products ever used in the processing.
- Practice the most humane way to shear sheep.
- Sheep raised for a mission – happy lambs produce healthier wool and the best wool dryer balls.
- No fillers, 100% premium USA wool that does not unravel and will last for years.
- Durability – no shortcuts taken – balls have no blemishes, no divots, and no rough edges. The balls are completely smooth and do not shed.
- Compostable for organic gardening
- Non allergenic
- No harmful chemicals
- Handmade with love and care using a special blend of wool
- Size is optimum for maximum dryer efficiency
- As long lasting as plastic dryer balls or tennis balls, but don’t release harmful chemicals
- Healthy sheep produce healthy wool.
- Use of the balls reduces carbon footprint
Have you tried wool dryer balls? Let us know in the comments below!