You may have seen people touting the benefits of dry brushing–from celebrities to wellness bloggers, this topic is hot! But does it actually work? Yes, yes it does.
The body uses the kidneys, lungs, bowel and skin to help detoxify what is ingested or inhaled. The skin is the largest eliminative organ of the body, in fact, it is sometimes called the third kidney. Optimizing the skin as an organ of elimination is an inexpensive way to enhance health and restore vitality and well-being.
Good elimination is ESSENTIAL to good health.
Did you know that your skin eliminates a couple of pounds of material daily? In fact, perspiration has basically the same composition as diluted urine. (crazy!) Skin brushing once a day can greatly improve your skin function which will in turn improve the activity of your lungs, colon, and kidneys. Skin brushing removes the top layer of dead skin cells. It stimulates the oil-secreting glands, moisturizes your skin, and can often clear up a dry skin condition in one week.
- Stimulates the circulation of your body, invigorates and “wakes you up.”
- Acts as a blood purifier by helping remove large quantities of waste material that would have to be carried by your blood for removal through the bowel or kidneys.
- Can reduce the appearance of cellulite
- Improved complexion
- If you suffer chronic fatigue, skin brushing will help. And if you’re overweight, skin brushing helps to maintain muscle activity of the skin allowing for less loose skin with weight loss.
Let us explain how!
- Choose a dry brush & ensure the bristles are reasonably soft. We love the Primally Pure dry brush and the Yerba Prima brush that you can find on Amazon & at Whole Foods.
- It’s recommended to dry brush before bathing, so that you can wash off any exfoliated skin cells. We also recommend dry brushing in the AM to benefit from the energizing feeling to start your day!
- Starting at your feet, brush in upward strokes towards your heart. Use firm, small strokes upwards, or work in a circular motion. For your stomach, work in a counterclockwise pattern. When you start on your arms, begin at the hands and work upward. Don’t forget your armpits & neck!
- Dedicate at least 3-5 minutes towards brushing. We like to play 2 of our favorite songs and make it a little morning dance party!
- Shower & then use a body oil to moisturize. We love the Primally Pure Blue Tansy Body Oil or organic coconut or sesame oil.