New Year Home Cleanse Step 1: REVIEW

We truly believe that the next few days could transform your health. By taking the initiative to create a clean, safe home environment, you and all those living with you will benefit in ways you may not believe. We didn’t until we experienced it firsthand. In fact, we’ve become so adapted to our environments that we often don’t realize how much it affects us. Many have reported chronic headaches, “allergies” and skin issues disappearing. While we can’t promise immediate results, rest assured that removing toxic pesticides, detergents, and cleaners from your home is improving your air quality immediately, and your health will follow. So follow along below, as this is one of the most important steps in the process of creating a healthier home.

TO START, REMOVE ALL PESTICIDES FROM THE HOME AND GARAGE.

Toxic pesticides are the most dangerous chemicals used inside and around the home. Exposure to pesticides impacts the immune system and creates vulnerability to illness. They have been directly linked to childhood cancers, lowered IQ, and neurologically-based illness such as Parkinson’s. We’ll be sharing some non-toxic alternatives on Day 3.

LOCATE ALL YOUR CLEANERS AND BEGIN TO READ EACH LABEL.

If you’re like most people, there are dozens of different products under sinks, in drawers, in the laundry room, and in the garage. And don’t forget those dusty bottles you keep around “just in case”. Decide which ones need to go, put them in a box, and set them aside.

HOW DO I KNOW IF A CLEANING PRODUCT IS TOXIC?

Most conventional cleaners are made with hazardous ingredients and are labeled with the signal words: CAUTION, WARNING or DANGER. Some are even labeled as HAZARDOUS WASTE, meaning they must be disposed of at a hazardous waste facility and can cause injury if handled improperly – they pose a threat not only to people, but the environment as well.

Look for the following red flags WORDS:

+ CAUTION, WARNING or DANGER (these labels are required by law for products that contain harmful ingredients)

+ warnings of EYE, SKIN, or RESPIRATORY IRRITATION

+ directions recommending RUBBER GLOVES or MASK

+ directions that require VENTILATION while using the product

+ instructions for HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL

+ a “combustible” or “flammable” warning

A NOTE ABOUT GREENWASHING

EXAMINE YOUR “NON-TOXIC” PRODUCTS.

Although today there are many “non-toxic” and “natural” products available that are biodegradable and environmentally safe, many have their own toxic red flags. Ingredients in these “non-toxic” products may have potential for harm. For example, some of the most popular cleaning products that claim to be non-toxic actually have antibacterial ingredients that are EPA-registered pesticides. They may also have preservatives such as methylisothiazolinone and benzisothiazolinone which are known skin irritants and are considered neurotoxic.

MORE TOXIC RED FLAGS

+ phenoxyethanol – a preservative that is an endocrine disruptor, neurotoxin, skin and eye irritant; phenoxyethanol is an ethoxylated compound that may be contaminated with the carcinogenic toxin 1,4-Dioxane

petroleum based ingredients – An ending of “ol” or “ene” is likely an indication of a petroleum-based product or coal tar derivative (i.e.  xylol, glycol, phenol, benzene, toulene, xylene)

+potassium sorbate – preservative associated with skin and eye irritation

+sodium benzoate – preservative that has been associated with sensitivity issues

+ synthetic parfum and fragrances – most are processed with solvents that have harmful VOC’s; botanical fragrances must be extracted through distillation, not with solvents

+ pine, lemon, and orange oils; studies have found that they react with ozone from outside air to create secondary toxic compounds and particulate issues in the indoor air*

What’s the next step? read now.

 

A LIFE-CHANGING STORY OF PERSEVERANCE

“A 45-year-old woman with continual low-grade headaches with frequent spiking migraines since high school consulted with doctors for years. Medicines were prescribed and the headaches continued. She went from doctor to doctor trying to find help with this or that new treatment. As time went on, the headaches continued.

A headache is not a medication deficiency. Taking medication will only address symptoms, not the cause. There is an underlying cause or immune stressors of some kind (chemical, dietary, emotional, pollens, EMFs, etc.) on the body that is causing the headache. Sometimes it can be as simple as something we are eating, doing, or being exposed to that the body is having trouble processing/detoxifying.

This person contacted me for help and after we removed three large trash bags full of of toxic products from her home and garage on a Friday afternoon, by Sunday morning she called crying with joy because she woke up for the first time in years without a headache. That simple process of removal was life changing. She was living with a low level toxic soup in her house that her body/liver had to continually detoxify and deal with. The largest concentration of harmful products was in the bathroom connected to her bedroom. When the source of immune stress was removed, her body no longer protested – all symptoms were gone.

She has remained headache-free for years.” Marilee 

 

 

*There is nothing wrong with these essential oils, but on days when there is an air quality warning – high ozone days – then it is best not to use these oils as toxic secondary compounds are produced when the terpenes react with the ozone.

Enjoyed this post? Sign up for our newsletter!

Clean Sweep

We only send great stuff. Twice a month.

Recommended

Mini All-Purpose

5 out of 5
$6.00 Order Now

Travel Kit

4.83333333333 out of 5
$20.00 Order Now

Starter Kit + Oxygen Boost

4.91574279379 out of 5
$69.00 Order Now

12 Comments

  1. Under “A Note About Greenwashing” there is a double asterisk after the comment about orange, lemon and pine oils. Orange and lemon and are two of my go-to essential oils to diffuse and clean with, so this is a concern.

    Was there supposed to be a footnote to the asterisks?

    Thanks!

    1. Hi Shelley!
      You and Sharon are quick 🙂
      There is nothing wrong with these oils, but if you live in a highly polluted area and there are high levels of ozone in the air, then it has been found that the terpenes in these oils react with the ozone to create toxic compounds and fine particulates. The terpenes themselves are not considered toxic. The ozone enters the indoor environment from infiltration of outdoor air, but is also produced indoors by some office machines such as copiers or printers, and by some devices marketed as “air purifiers” that purposely emit ozone into the indoor environment. So we say avoid on high warning days just to be extra safe if you live in a highly polluted area! Sorry for the typo with the asterisk! Let us know if you have any other questions 🙂

    1. Hi Lanier! You are ahead of the game! Stay tuned for our post tomorrow to learn more about this. If you want to go ahead and get them out of your home, feel free to place them in a box and leave them outside.
      So glad you are taking steps to a healthier home! 🙂

  2. Great way to begin the new year with a house cleanse. Under “red flags” the last bullet point mentions pine, lemon & orange oils with a couple of asterisks at the end of the sentence. Are those asterisks to reference to a source? I can’t seem to find any notes. Am curious to learn more about the ways the oils interact with ozone.

    Also a lot of homemade cleaning products use citrus essential oils. Should these oils not be used at all? Also what about in a diffuser? Thanks 🙂

    1. Hi Sharon!
      There is nothing wrong with these oils, but if you live in a highly polluted area and there are high levels of ozone in the air, then it has been found that the terpenes in these oils react with the ozone to create toxic compounds and fine particulates. The terpenes themselves are not considered toxic. The ozone enters the indoor environment from infiltration of outdoor air, but is also produced indoors by some office machines such as copiers or printers, and by some devices marketed as “air purifiers” that purposely emit ozone into the indoor environment. So we say avoid just to be extra safe if you live in a highly polluted area! Sorry for the typo with the asterisk! Let us know if you have any other questions 🙂

      1. Thanks for your speedy response and for all of the great info in your blog! Guess it’s time to stop using lemon EO in my homemade cleaning scrubs. A shame since I love the smell especially in the kitchen. But better to be safe.

      2. Hi Sharon! Just to clarify, there is nothing wrong with these essential oils, but on days when there is an air quality warning – high ozone days – then it is best not to use these oils as toxic secondary compounds are produced when the terpenes react with the ozone. Hope this is helpful! 🙂

Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *