We use coconut oil in our homes and at the office for everything from cooking and baking to moisturizing skin. Allison even has a coconut oil jar dedicated for her dog, Artie. She adds the oil to his food to keep his skin moisturized too! One of our favorite daily uses is oil-pulling. Here’s the method we use, based on the recommendations of Dr. F. Karach, a Ukranian physician. Dr. Karach used this detoxification practice with much success, beginning in the 1990s.
The Dr. Karach Oil Pulling Method
An Ayurvedic Detoxification Treatment
Dr. Karach prescribed this method for oil-pulling to help his patients with a variety of immune disorders. He found amazing results, especially in patients who were detoxifying petroleum solvents. Petroleum solvents are lipophilic (fat-loving) and will be readily absorbed into the oil. Also, toxic metals/minerals form soap complexes with the oil, and can be easily eliminated through spitting the oil out.
Reported Benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling
- Natural whitening of the teeth
- Cleaner, fresher breath
- Reduced plaque on the teeth
- Overall increased oral health
- Increased physical well being
- Reduced chemical load – easy detoxification
- Greater mental awareness
- Decreased pain and joint stiffness
- Reduced sinus infections
- Reduced migraines and other headaches
- Reduced kidney and liver stress
- Reduced bacteria in the mouth*
*By reducing the bacteria in the mouth, coconut pulling reduces the bacteria that enters the bloodstream. And because there has been a direct link between dental or gum infection and heart disease, the reduction of bacteria through oil pulling is another measure to consider for protecting the heart.
Dr. Karach Oil Pulling Procedure
- In the morning, before drinking any liquids (including water) or eating breakfast, take 1 Tablespoon organic coconut oil in the mouth, but do not swallow. Optional – for extra teeth whitening and antibacterial action – open a capsule or two of Activated Charcoal into the mouth as well.
- Swish the oil around your mouth and through your teeth. Continue to “chew” the oil and mix it with your saliva for 10-20 minutes. Do not throw your head back to gargle the oil.
- After 10-20 minutes, spit it into the trash or other container (avoid the sink or toilet because the coconut oil may solidify in your pipes).
- After expelling the oil, immediately brush your gums, teeth and tongue with warm salt or salt + soda water. Then gargle and spit with the remaining salt or salt/soda water.
- Salt Water: ¼ cup water mixed with 1/8 teaspoon pink salt
- Salt + Soda Water: ¼ cup water mixed with ⅛ teaspoon pink salt and ½ teaspoon baking soda
Notes: Never swallow the oil – if gagging occurs and it seems difficult start with a smaller amount of oil and work up to a larger amount. Chewing activates the enzymes, which draws toxins out of the blood. And in 10-20 minutes, the blood from the entire body has had the opportunity to circulate through and around the mouth. After 10-20 minutes the oil should be thinner and white. If it is still yellow, you have not held it in your mouth long enough. Oil pulling for 10 minutes the first week is usually sufficient, then increase to 15-30 minutes as the oil becomes clearer. If desired for faster detoxification – repeat this procedure two to three times a day, before meals, on an empty stomach.
We recommend Artisana raw, organic coconut oil for detoxification. We like their raw coconut oil because it is never heated over 120°F, and it is non-hydrogenated, GMO-free, and cholesterol-free. By adhering to an organic standard, Artisana never uses pesticides or chemicals on the coconut trees nor as additives into the final oil. The medium-chain fatty acids in the oil break down very efficiently in the body, giving you an immediate energy source!
Other Suggested Uses for Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is extremely versatile – you can use it many different ways in your cooking and to replace multiple personal care products. Raw coconut oil retains the original enzymes, proteins, and vitamins, which can be more easily absorbed and utilized by your body. The is particularly important if you are using the coconut oil topically or digesting it raw, rather than cooking with it. However , a benefit of coconut oil is that it’s great to use for cooking, event at high temperatures for dishes like stir-fries.
- For baby:
- all-over moisturizer
- diaper cream
- cradle cap
For kids and adults:
- body and foot scrub: mix with sugar as a body scrub or with salt to remove dry skin from your feet
- face wash (Wellness Mama has a great tutorial for this)
- lip balm
For the kitchen:
- cooking or baking: use it as a healthy alternative to vegetable or canola oils
- seasoning a cast iron skillet
How do you use coconut oil around your house?
Scientific Studies Related to The Dr. Karach Oil Pulling Method:
- Oil pulling substantially reduced the level of bacteria responsible for gingivitis – (Indian J Dent Res. 2009 Jan-Mar:20(1):47-51.PMID:19336860)
- Oil pulling substantially reduced the level of bacteria responsible for tooth decay – strep mutans – (J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2008 Mar26(1):12-7.PMID:18408265)
Recently featured in Currently Loving: