These laundry instructions are the method we suggest for incorporating Branch Basics Concentrate into your laundry routine. Typically, if stains are properly pretreated, 1 teaspoon of Branch Basics Concentrate is adequate even for larger, tougher loads.
Branch Basics Laundry: Top-Loading Machines
For top-loading machines, add 1-2 teaspoons of Concentrate to your washing machine as it fills with water. Add your laundry and wash as you normally would.
Branch Basics Laundry: Front-Loading Machines
For front-loading machines (HE or High Efficiency), first mix 1-2 teaspoons of Concentrate with 2 cups of water and pour into the detergent drawer of your machine before you start the load. This ensures that the concentrate (since it is such a small amount) will reach the laundry as the cycle begins. Without enough water, the concentrate will not fully travel through the dispensing mechanism. After adding the concentrate and water, add your laundry and wash as normal. Some customers like to pre-mix the concentrate with water in a jar to keep near their washing machine. This method works well – just shake before each use!
Note: local water quality varies by municipality and regions; “hard” water (high in minerals) will require more Concentrate than “soft” water. For more tips on using Branch Basics cleaning concentrate with hard water, check out Optimize Your Branch Basics Cleaning Experience.
Pretreat Stains. Add 2-4 ounces of All-Purpose solution to hot OR cold water in bucket or washing machine. Soak for 15-30 minutes…this does the cleaning! Agitate and rinse well or wash in the gentle cycle.
For stains, or particularly greasy laundry, pre-treat by spraying All-Purpose on the stain, agitating, then, if necessary soaking 15 minutes to overnight. Machine wash per instructions above. See our full Stainmaster Guide to learn the ins and outs of many common (but tricky) stains. Again, hard water may make a difference in your cleaning experience. For best results, pre-treat stains with Branch Basics Concentrate that is diluted with distilled or filtered water rather than tap water. For more information, check out Optimize Your Branch Basics Cleaning Experience.
Whitening and Brightening
For extra whitening and brightening, we recommend teaming Branch Basics Concentrate with one of the following to help keep whites white and to brighten clothes:
- Branch Basics Oxygen Boost: 1 scoop (included) per load – great for neutralizing odors, deodorizing, whitening, and brightening
- baking soda:½ to 1 cup per load to neutralize odors, soften fabrics, and boost cleaning
- “20 Mule Team Borax”: ½ – 1 cup per load
- Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster: ½ cup per load
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide—for white loads ONLY: 1 cup per load
- For top-loading machines: add whites and water, then pour in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Agitate a bit, and let soak several hours, then wash.
- For front loaders follow same instructions in a sink, then add to your machine.
- *Caveat*: The peroxide will bleach other clothes! Branch Basics Oxygen Boost is a safe way to brighten and whiten without bleach.